Saturday, January 24, 2009

Things Ive loved lately...


The beauty of working for a design firm is that Im exposed to an array of very intelligent and talented people, every day. Whether I am reading a journal, or meeting a designer in person, it never ceases to amaze me, the wealth of ideas the human mind can create.

My recent discoveries;



I swooned. I actually swooned when I spotted these I Love Billy Shoes... and only $90 from Sidewalk Soul! Bring on my next paycheck paaalease! I was introduced to these by Michi Girl. Just too damn cute. Some short checkered brown shorts and white singlet, with some chunky wooden beads around my neck... Ive got it all planned out already... oh my!




In central London they have a temporary development/installation called the Double Club. Its very similar to the container ship, and sustainability bars that Ive seen in melbourne, but it crosses multiple genres. In a joint project between Fondazione Prada, and German artist Carsten Höller, its there for a good time, not a long time.

"Its success lies in the approach. Rather than trying to lure them in as loyal patrons, the Double Club exploits the fact that those in the know move on quickly, and allows just enough time for word to spread before it will shut up shop.Opened towards the end of 2008, this dynamic space is an assault on the senses. Excessive colour, texture and contrast are almost too confronting to take in all at once – yet somehow it blends perfectly. It is divided into bar, restaurant and dance club, and each is split down the middle and designed to represent disparate ways of life; “creating a dialogue between Congolese and Western contemporary music, lifestyle, arts and design”.

The intensity awakens something inside, and the buzz of the patrons – drifting from the “congo” spaces back to the “west” – draws you into another world. Enter the bar where Portuguese azulejo (painted decorative tiles) line the wall and floor marking out the ‘garden space’, while in the background your eyes are drawn towards the neon lights and copper bar announcing “Two Horses Riders Club”.
Enjoy a few drinks here, or head upstairs to the rotating dance floor where the music alternates from Western styles to Congolese Rumba, Wenge or Ndombolo depending on what half of the space the DJ has revolved into."

The Double Club thedoubleclub.co.uk


Im a big fan of the tiling work in the blues and greys, and the huge elephant motif. Mind you, Ive probably worked too long in a bar, and the first thing I thought was; My, that bartop will be frightfully hard to keep clean. I know that its a 'temporary' space but I dont think that needs to be accentuated with plastic chairs. Scream: Tack! Personal opinion.



The summer range from Flamingo Sands. PS - Love the angles that the photographer gets out of the models. Great shots.


Too cute! I wish I didnt have a giraffe torso... id adore a strapless one piece like this.



If I could actually FIND this Zimmerman playsuit, and when I say find, I mean 'on sale'. My firm has reduced everyone to a 4 day week (economic downturn strikes again) so its not wise to be spending on playsuits... As much as I LOVE it.




And my skin is this colour at the moment too - yay for summer! - such a shame, would have looked awesome.


And Ellie Mücke http://www.mucke.com.au/ is a Melbourne designer who makes beautiful structured peices out of recycled oversized men shirts etc. Her designs are frequently the same, but with the change in fabric or shirt choice, ultimately the peice becomes a one-off. Fantastic! My faves;



look closely at the back detail below... little buttons on the cuff!





Wow my wish list for 2009 is getting big... and fast! * grin *

.





No comments: