Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Recipe for an anxiety cure



Take one large dose of icy cold weather and rain

A few small pinches of camping equipment

1 cup of red wine (did I say 1? I meant 4, no wait, 5.)

A hefty dollop of cuddle-y love from the boy

Several lashings of bbq'd meat & salad

and a sprinkling of hiking, football on the beach, and wombat watching.

And VIOLA! Anxiety gone!



Ive just finished university for the semester... YAY! And I can barely contain my excitement. Jim and I have been planning our camping trip for weeks now. We travel down to Wilsons Prom on a Friday and stay for 3 days. The beauty of going at this time of year is that the place is tomb-quiet. Most people chicken out at the thought of sleeping in a tent at 3 degrees but Oh! not me! Its my favourite time of year to camp!

Once the tent is pitched, we do a little exploring, cook some dinner on the bbq, and then retire to the tent with 3 fluffy doona's, a thick mattress, a beautiful bottle of Barossa or Clare Valley Shiraz, and some drool-worthy cheeses. We go to sleep when the sun goes down, and rise with the birds. The tent keeps us dry, and we huddle inside if its raining. When its not raining we run around like fools on the beach to keep ourselves warm. There are no phones. And no internet. And no power, so there isnt even any music or generators. And no small screaming children. Its just PERFECT.

This weekend just gone i worked for 48 hours STRAIGHT on my final assignment. I woke up at 9am on Saturday, and did not sleep again until 9am on Monday. Sure Ive done my uni all nighters before, but never two in a row. And never again let me tell you. On Monday morning, I was not sure I could safely drive home (Id locked myself away in the office to get it all done), my eyes were bloodshot and sunken, my lips were dry and cracked, and I was hallucinating. My eyes played mean tricks on me and I looked like a startled rabbit. On crack.

And its done. But I promise promise promise I will NOT do that to myself again!
.

2 comments:

kate said...

oh yes i love wilson's prom in winter! its just so quiet and you get the whole place to yourself!! perhaps i need to take a trip down there myself!

Miss Kaye said...

do it! :)
Not to mention its looking stunning down there at the moment, all blackened from the bushfires, but lush with heaps of green growth and wildflowers.